The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) confirmed yesterday that two dogs have become sick after eating dog food included in the Diamond Pet Foods recall.
According to eFoodAlert, Laura Alvey of the FDA’s Center for Veterinary Medicine confirmed the dogs, who lived in the same house, were infected with Salmonella Infantis.
While there have been 16 confirmed cases of people getting sick after handling the food, until yesterday the FDA said no dogs had become ill.
Alvey told eFoodAlert that since the investigation is still “open and pending,” the FDA can only release limited information to the public.
An Investigational Observation report posted on the FDA website yesterday lists the results of the agency’s April investigation of the Diamond Pet Foods plant in South Carolina, where all the recalled products were manufactured.
These are the observations noted in the report:
All reasonable precautions are not taken to ensure that production procedures do not contribute contamination from any source – “Specifically, no microbiological analysis is conducted or there is no assurance that incoming animal fat will not introduce pathogens into their production and cause contamination of finished product … On 4/13/12, an employee was observed touching in-line fat filter and oil with bare hands.”
Failure to provide hand-washing and hand-sanitizing facilities at production areas where there is direct contact with exposed finished food.
Failure to maintain equipment, containers and utensils used to convey, hold and store food in a manner that protects against contamination.
Failure to maintain equipment so as to facilitate cleaning of the equipment – “Specifically, firm utilizes cardboard, duct tape and other non-cleanable surfaces on equipment. These materials were observed to have residues adhering.”
For a current list of recalled products that were manufactured at this plant, see Dry Dog Food Recall Expands to Popular Brands.
For information about the symptoms and treatment of Salmonella poisoning, see HOW TO Treat Your Dog’s Salmonella Infection.